Errors in The Wizard of Oz
A list of known errors in the original Wizard of Oz movie.
- Dorothy emerges clean from a fall into the pig sty.
- Dorothy bed spins around during the cyclone, while the linens and the table by the window don't move.
- One of the Munchkins comes out of a manhole that subsequently can't be seen in the location.
- Dorothy keeps holding the flowers that the Lullaby League gives her, but the lollipop disappears without any indication of being eaten or thrown away.
- The hair extensions that are used for Dorothy's pigtails don't stay the same length during the half year of filming (October 13, 1938 - March 16, 1939)
- Dorothy wears black slippers in the scene of apples being thrown at the Scarecrow. But immediately after, her slippers are ruby
- The Tin Woodsman's oil can is seen bouncing out of Dorothy's basket during the singing of If I Only Had a Heart. And yet it's immediately back in the basket, without anything in the action to indicate that putting it back in is part of the plot.
- The fishing line holding up the Cowardly Lion's tail can be seen in some scenes, not in others.
- Dorothy and the Cowardly Lion don't act like it's cold when the snow starts falling in the deadly poppy fields.
- The doorknocker on the Emerald City gates makes a noise before Dorothy touches it.
- The guardian at the gates of the Emerald City Palace has a mustache turned up in one scene, down in the next.
- The Cowardly Lion can be heard singing King of the Forest before his mouth starts moving and the crown that's on his head isn't the same.
- Dorothy stumbles on the carpet.
- In the long shot of the five friends having a door slam in their faces in the Wicked Witch of the West's castle, Dorothy stands between the Scarecrow and the Tin Woodsman. But in the close-up, the Tin Woodsman is in the middle.
- The candles go out when the Tin Woodsman cuts down the Witch's chandelier. Shortly afterwards, they're lighted.
- The Witch's broomstick has burned, ragged and uneven bristles when the five friends first retrieve it from where she melts into nothingness. But they're straight and trimmed when the broomstick is handed over to the Wizard.
Know or notice any others? Let us know!
(You must be logged in to vote)
This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.