Discussion on the messaging software behind this web site.
Well, we're back again on yet another new web server. Problems with the last one, so got a new one. Sorry about the interruption in service.
You will now see the subject of a message displayed in the end of the URL, this is called slugification, and helps search engines index the content on the page.
Had an RSS feed here years ago in a previous version of MessageBase's code. Have added it again, with newer, better code. Available at the top of the main page, or from here: MessageBase RSS Feed
Have been on a serious productive run on adding features to MessageBase, hope you enjoy!
Finally got the money for a business internet connection. Can finally host MessageBase on port 80, so from now on come to www.MessageBase.net instead of the old https://messagebase/ address (Still works for now, but will eventually go away.) Faster connection too, so the site will be faster.
Soon as Visual Studio 2010 drops, I plan to begin a (yet another) complete rewrite of the MessageBase codebase to utilize the incredible power of "true" AJAX and Model-View-Controller architecture. This site's too slow, and too unfinished.
After many years, the server I've been using finally fried out. But then again, it's been plugged in and running for most of the past eight years, so it really was a great machine. (A moment of silence for our lost server, Zeppelin. It was a good machine, who served us well. It will be missed.)
Previously, if you viewed MessageBase with Firefox, you would see scrollbars at the bottom of each collapsable section on the main page. I've finally had the time to fix that, and it now looks good with both Firefox 2.x and Firefox 3.x.
Ever since I put in the ability to search messages within MessageBase, it's never worked right. In fact kind of flaky. I'd search for messages containing words that I knew the message contained, and lots of the time I wouldn't find the message at all. If I was lucky, some times I'd find replies to the message, but not the parent message.
The site has officially moved over to the MessageBase 3.0 software. I have put in a "301 - Redirected Permanently" redirect for all requests to the old /MessageBase2 directory so that requests for the old version of MessageBase will switched over to the official "www.MessageBase.net/MessageBase" URL.
Getting near completion of the (yet another) ground-up rewrite of MessageBase (This is the third or fourth time, since starting out with the whole thing running ASP.old and using Access as a back-end database.)